A Separation (2011) – Asghar Farhadi (Friday’s finest) - I had A Separation on the back-burner to watch for far too long and when I eventually saw this Academy award winner for best foreign film, I was kicking myself I hadn’t seen it sooner. It is currently sitting 9th…
Picnic at Hanging Rock 1975- Peter Weir (Friday’s Finest) - On Fridays I intend to post about relatively obscure movies which deserve in my estimation more widespread appreciation. They might be art-house, foreign or low budget films or a combination of all three. I have already posted about many films…
A Lovely Night – Justin Hurwitz (La La Land) - Perhaps my least favourite genre in cinema was the musical, that is until I saw La la Land. Wikipedia: La La Land is a 2016 American romantic comedy-drama musical film written and directed by Damien Chazelle. It stars Ryan Gosling…
Put to Seinfeld… ‘Actor, Writer, Producer – Which of Larry David’s Skills do you admire the most?’ -
The highly anticpated ‘The Irishman’ – Martin Scorsese - The year was 1995. Scorsese, De Niro, & Pesci teamed up in CASINO (and GOODFELLAS in 1990) and De Niro & Pacino in HEAT. And now all four have finally come together in Scorsese’s ‘The Irishman’. Arguably the greatest cast…
Full Index of Movies and TV
- A Separation (2011) – Asghar Farhadi (Friday’s finest)
- Picnic at Hanging Rock 1975- Peter Weir (Friday’s Finest)
- A Lovely Night – Justin Hurwitz (La La Land)
- Put to Seinfeld… ‘Actor, Writer, Producer – Which of Larry David’s Skills do you admire the most?’
- The highly anticpated ‘The Irishman’ – Martin Scorsese
- Rocketman- Elton Hercules John!
- The Happy Prince – Oscar Wilde (adapted and directed by Orson Welles)
- Music homage films abound in 2019 (Beatles, Springsteen, Elton John & Bob Dylan)
- The Master (2012) – Paul Thomas Anderson
- Lost Horizon (1937) – Frank Capra
- Sleeper (1973) – Woody Allen
- Reflections on the ‘Who Killed JFK’ article
- A little known Australian movie called ‘Candy’ and Tim Buckley’s ‘Song to the Siren’
- Mandy – An art-house supernatural horror trip
- Crikey! ‘That’s a tough mother bleepin’ wooden door’
- Could watching the Phantom Thread become a *new* New Year’s tradition?
- Roma – A Latino Cinematic Masterpiece (2018)
- Moneyball and Wallstreet
- Keep On Sleeping With Ham Sarris #1 – Against Empathy (With Plaul Boom)
- I think Neil deGrasse Tyson just invented Intellectual Porn
- The greatest cover up in history – The unheralded Robert Zimmerman
- Did the RIO Olympics Deliver?
- Hail, Caesar! – A playful but unrealised Coen Brothers romp
- Bridge of Spies (2015) – Steven Spielberg
- Heaven Knows What (2014)
- The Wonder Years and ‘Catch The Wind’
- 20 Seconds of Insane Courage
- Another Earth (2011) What is it about?
- Love is Strange – A Movie You Shouldn’t Miss
- The greatest Larry David interview anyone could hope for
- Transformational Leadership at its most potent – Gandhi
- “It’s like a big ship… and the water’s on fire.” Tom Waits on David Letterman
- Hannah and Her Sisters (1986) – Woody Allen
- Blue is the Warmest Colour
- ‘Being There’ – A fairly solid depressing tale but not an overly satisfying one.
- Manhattan – A stupendous movie about dating and relationships
- Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
- Sigur Rós – Njósnavélin (The Nothing Song) and Cameron Crowe
- Smiles of a Summer Night (1955) Ingmar Bergman
- Who Killed JFK? The Kennedy Assassination – Beyond Conspiracy
- The Lego Movie. Be Wary of the Hype.
- Inside Llewyn Davis – The Coen Brothers
- Chrysler and Bob Dylan Super Bowl Commercial 2014
- Interesting Reactions to the ‘The Oscars has lost all respectability’ post
- ‘The Oscars’ has lost all ounce of respectability as a serious award contest.
- Jerry Seinfeld – All Awards are Stupid
- Comedy and the Ages. Lenny Bruce, Charles Bukowski and Hunter S Thompson
- Winter Light (1963) – Ingmar Bergman
- ‘Love and Theft’ – American Hustle (2013)
- Ingmar Bergman and Wild Strawberries